Bakas

Bakas in the Filipino language means print, mark, trace, trail or vestige. This blog, then, records all those that left their marks or my impressions on anything under the sun :)

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

on motherhood

It is said that a daughter can never ever repay her mother's sufferings until she herself has given birth. My baby sister has just given birth to a baby boy tonight.

I was in my German class, answering an exercise, when my cellphone rang. I was so surprised to see the caller ID reflecting my sister's number that I pressed reject call instead of answer. That was when I saw my cousin's text messages that my sister was in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital and prematurely giving birth. She was scheduled to deliver her baby on the first week of October until October 9. And her husband, who works in Singapore, is not scheduled to arrive until September 28.

Meine Lehrerin (my teacher) said it was okay for me to go. But I told her that I'd rather stay in class. Focusing on my sitwork rather than my fear for my sister enabled me to compose myself and gave me time to consider what needed to be done.

After my class, I went to SM City Manila and bought what I thought were needed :) And shopped I did :) I left the grocery at around 9pm with five SM bags (which included Wilkins Distilled Water, 6 cans of pineapple juice, 1 box of Selecta Moo Milk, 2 sets of Yakult, styro cups, plastic spoon and fork). I also had to take out dinner for my aunt and mother who were already at the hospital. With 6 plastic bags plus my own heavy knapsack, I could hardly walk :)

And when I got to the hospital, I walked to the delivery room with all my bags for I didn’t know that my sister had already given birth. And I had to carry them again to the opposite side of the corridor where my sister’s room is :( I really had an exercise.

But what I did was nothing compared to what my sister had to go through. Since the baby was breech, she had to make a caesarean delivery.

Just imagining it, I don’t think I could ever repay my mother :(



sayong
09-20-05 1:35am

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home