Bakas

Bakas in the Filipino language means print, mark, trace, trail or vestige. This blog, then, records all those that left their marks or my impressions on anything under the sun :)

Saturday, September 17, 2005

No Smoking

The implementation of No Smoking under the The Clean Air Act of 1999 is a joke in the Philippines.

I have yet to find a place where no one smokes. And I have yet to ride a jeepney or a bus, where I can breathe freely. That’s one reason I always carry a fan and a handkerchief, if not tissue. By the swish of the fan, some smokers can take the hint and throw their cigarettes away.

When I take the jeepney, I usually ride in front, beside the driver. To my work, I have to take two short rides. Unfortunately this Friday, both times that I sat in front, I had to sit with smokers. On the first jeepney ride, the boy in his early twentys immediately threw his cigarette. But I had to contend with his bad breath while speaking to the driver. On the second jeepney, the man had to smoke half of it first.

Another time, the smokers were the jeepney driver and a lady inside. I sat as far as way as possible from both of them. Ayaw ko naming maging tinapa :) (I don’t want to smell like smoked fish). Haaaay...when will the MMDA or police start doing their jobs?



sayong
09-17-05 11:55pm


==========
from: http://www.gov.ph/forum/thread.asp?rootID=5973&catID=9


The Clean Air Act of 1999 (R.A. 8749)

(enacted by the 11th Congress of the Republic of the Philippines and signed into law on 23 June 1999)

Section 24: Pollution From Smoking

Smoking inside a public building or an enclosed public place, including vehicles and other means of transport, or in any enclosed area outside of one's private residence, private place of work or any duly designated smoking area is hereby prohibited under this Act.

Section 47: Fines and Penalties for Violations of Other Provisions in the Act.

For violations of all other provisions provided in this Act and of the rules and regulations thereof, a fine of not less than Ten thousand pesos (P10,000) but not more than One hundred thousand pesos (P100,000) or six (6) months to six (6) years imprisonment or both shall be imposed. If the offender is a juridical person, the presidents, manager, directors, trustees, the pollution control officer or the officials directly in charge of the operations shall suffer the penalty herein provided.

for more info, check out this url http://fcap.globalink.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home