Bakas

Bakas in the Filipino language means print, mark, trace, trail or vestige. This blog, then, records all those that left their marks or my impressions on anything under the sun :)

Monday, August 13, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I finally watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
at SM City Sta. Mesa Cinema last Saturday. It has been almost a month
since it was first shown here. From 160 pesos then, the ticket now
costs 100 pesos only.

Having read and heard some reviews beforehand, I wasn't keen
on seeing it although I am a Potter fan. Ever since the third Harry
Potter movie (HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban), I haven't been pleased
with the movie versions.

The Goblet of Fire movie was quite okay. The latest movie
was, however, the most disappointing one for me. I tried not to think
of the book as I watch, to find out if I could follow the storyline.
I believe that the movie was, however, harder to understand if one has
not read the book. The actions were so fast-paced that emotions
hardly got through.

One of the highlights of the 5th book was the publication of
Rita Skeeter's interview with Harry Potter about Voldemort's return.
It wasn't there.

Harry Potter was quite emotional and explosive in the 5th
book but even-tempered in the movie.

The Mrs. Figgs in the movie didn't seem nervous, angry at
Mundungus (but since there was no Dung in the movie, at the least she
should have), worried about Dumbledore's reaction. She simply didn't
manage to portray the gravity of the Dementor attack.

The battle at the Department of Mysteries was also
disappointing. I believe that in all the previous movies, it was
obvious that wizards and witches were human beings. They can
disapparate (disappear and appear) but they do not "fly" like evil
spirits (black smoke) as they attack. The statues at the Ministry of
Magic were there and it would have been cinematic to make these move
to protect Harry, just like in the book. It was missing in the movie
again. So was the phoenix Fawkes.

Dumbledore's Army didn't come across as important in the
rebellion against Dolores Umbridge as in the book.

Of the seven books, I love Goblet of Fire and the Order of
the Phoenix best. It's too bad that the movie versions didn't live up
to them.

sayong
08-13-07 11:50pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home