Bakas

Bakas in the Filipino language means print, mark, trace, trail or vestige. This blog, then, records all those that left their marks or my impressions on anything under the sun :)

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Block Rosary

It's our turn to host Mama Mary. She'll be here for a week before she's turned over to the next household.

And on her first night here, I already showed poor hospitality as my temper got the better of me.

My Tita Delia called us to pray the rosary. My cousin Whet begged off, saying she was already sleepy. And it was not even 8pm yet. If she could stay half the night talking to her girlfriend on the phone or attending parties, how could she not spare 15 minutes to pray?

I told them not to receive Mama Mary if they don't intend to pray the rosary.

I used to be a member of Stella Matutina, a legionnaire, when I was in my teens. I used to do the Blessed Sacraments, used to pray and touch all the statues in our parish.

But though I still revere Mama Mary, I have long since lost the inclination to pray the rosary. But for "Our Father" I no longer believe in repeated prayers.

And I believe that a statue is only a figure...until you pray and invoke the presence of the spirit to whom you're praying.

My prayer now follows the pattern taught in Singles for Christ - playing praise and worship songs, bible reading and reflection and talking to God.

So I'm not too keen on this block rosary crusade. The odd thing here is that I've been named after this movement.

But one good thing about repeated prayer is that if its meaning don't sink in the first time, you're bound to get it next time.

So as I speak, "forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sinned against us," I prayed, "please forgive me for judging her. She'll come to you in her time, but hopefully not only when she needs a job or to pass an exam."

And now, she's waiting for her friend to call. Grrrr...

Lord, please give me patience and understanding. Let me not be a hypocrite, to pass judgment so I may not be judged.

sayong
09-03-05 10:20pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home