Bakas

Bakas in the Filipino language means print, mark, trace, trail or vestige. This blog, then, records all those that left their marks or my impressions on anything under the sun :)

Friday, September 02, 2005

German III

I got home early from my German class. Today is the first day of the third term. It was supposed to start last Monday. But Monday was declared a non-working day because of Heroes Day last Sunday. Day...day...day :)

It is reminiscent of our second term. We were also supposed to start on May 2 but it was declared a non-working day because Labor Day fell on a Sunday (from Section 9, Rule IV of the Omnibus rules Implementing the Labor Code). So we started our term on a Thursday also.

Time really flies.

September 30, 2004.

It was my officemate Danny's birthday. He invited our group to have lunch at their place.

But HRD informed me that mid-morning only that it was the last day of filing the application for the Foreign Language Program offered by the Foreign Service Institute. The FLP is mainly for the officers and personnel of the Department of Foreign Affairs (know more about the Philippine foreign affairs). But about 10 people from other government agencies may be accepted per foreign language course.

Needless to say, I was quite exasperated. I submitted my intention to participate in FSI’s language program several weeks ago and for me, it was the height of inconsideration to inform me that I could go ahead with my application on the last day of the submission of papers. You see, government employees have to be endorsed by their agencies if they wanted to participate in any training programs and the likes.

My officemate Em printed an ID picture since I didn't even have one. And while they were eating lunch at Danny's place, I was at the office rushing my application for a 1pm deadline.

The night before my exam and interview at the FSI, I attended the concert of the German quintet Amarcord with my mother, meimei (Mandarin word for younger sister) and my then 8-year old nephew and godson, Timboy.

amarcord poster with autograph Posted by Picasa



My nephew, as most of the crowd, loved their rendition of “Pen pen de sarapen.” And he remembers Daniel the most as he was quite nice to try to engage my nephew in a conversation.

daniel and me Posted by Picasa

Hmmm...Herr Daniel is much better-looking in person :)


The next day, we took the Pimsleur language aptitude test. After that exam and the interview, I thought that I wouldn't make it.

But if only for the experience of taking the Pimsleur exam, I was glad that I applied even if I did not pass.

Of course, I felt much better after learning in December that I passed it :).

And I was and still am grateful for Marivic of HRD who informed and pushed me to go through with the application despite my exasperation.

It’s almost a year ago, and I was a few pounds lighter then.

I must admit that since I started studying German, I have been eating quite a few more chocolates, cookies, ...oh... just about every sweet thing :) On my second term, I tried to miss a few snacks during lessons but I got sleepy and couldn't concentrate on the lessons.

I cannot remember eating (well, not as much!) when I was taking Mandarin lessons although my Chinese teacher used the full three hours. Perhaps, it was because my mouth couldn't be full when we had to speak/recite now and again.

Anyway, German III is now posted in our room at the FSI. German III. Finally. It looks nice, sounds nice. And much more important-sounding than German I or II. I’m glad :)

sayong
09-01-05

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home