Bakas

Bakas in the Filipino language means print, mark, trace, trail or vestige. This blog, then, records all those that left their marks or my impressions on anything under the sun :)

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

smells different

I thought that I know how it is to be poor. I've been
deluding myself. My mind knows what poverty is, yes. But I've never
really experienced it. It is very apparent to me now that my mother
has always sheltered me, even through our poorest existence.

Starting this year, we'll be given one sack of rice per
month. My mother started cooking our supply last Friday. I can't
remember my mother ever cooking such variety of rice. It doesn't
smell bad, it's not dark, but it is not also fragrant and it's not
delicious. Now, I know what is meant by the advertisement declaring,
"kanin pa lang, ulam na."

I also have an idea now why my friend fell out of love with
her husband after giving birth at a public hospital. I kept my cousin
company at a public hospital today and I could cry. I don't ever want
to find myself in such a situation.

When I had an operation in 2005, my room was also ward. But
it is a far cry from my cousin's charity ward. In 2005, I asked that
the bed next to mine be made available for my mother's use. It was
granted and my mother was quite comfortable when she rested. The room
was air conditioned and it doesn't smell. Like mine in 2005, my
cousin's bed is also beside the window. But everything else is
opposite. Her room only had fans and it stinks.

I already took a bath but I could still smell "hospital". I
hope that my mother could get some rest as she's the only one
available to look after my cousin tonight.


sayong
01-28-08 11:55pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home