Bakas

Bakas in the Filipino language means print, mark, trace, trail or vestige. This blog, then, records all those that left their marks or my impressions on anything under the sun :)

Thursday, September 13, 2007

shake up

My officemate Em filed her resignation this September 11.
And she will be on terminal leave starting next week. By now, I have
more or less come to accept her decision unlike when I first heard
about it two weeks ago.

It would be so hard to replace her. More than an efficient
worker, she is a very good friend and so much like a sister to me.

Aside from my family, she must be the only person with whom
I've spent most of my time. We have known each other for almost nine
years and been together for eight or more hours every working day, in
contrast to six/seven years of company with most of my classmates in
high school who were also my classmates in elementary. In short, I've
known some people much longer in years than I've known her but I
haven't spent as much time with them as I have with her. She has seen
me through heartaches, frustrations and even minor irritations. She
has seen me at my worst and hopefully, most of my best moments :)

I will miss her, all the talks (girl stuff, work, family,
pets, other friends, plans, etc.) and even the companionable silences.
Sometimes, gestures were enough to understand one another. And in
many occasions, we say the same thing or we can finish each other's
sentences.

Her leaving reminds me so much of when my sister moved to
Cavite last May. I felt so bad then until I convinced myself that my
sister is just a phone call away. And it would be the same with Em, I
guess. In any case, she will be moving just farther down the Pasig
River.

For now, our office needs someone to replace her. If my
wishes count, aside from the usual efficiency and a very good grasp of
English, I would prefer that her replacement be not older than 35
years old, come from the school we came from, and be interested in
learning languages. I guess that these would make a good start for
conversations, companionable work later on and perhaps, a sound
friendship in the future.


sayong
09-13-07 1:10am

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home