Bakas

Bakas in the Filipino language means print, mark, trace, trail or vestige. This blog, then, records all those that left their marks or my impressions on anything under the sun :)

Monday, December 18, 2006

The Nativity Story and Voltes V


Not that these are in any way related, except as part of my Christmas remembrance this year.

I watched The Nativity Story tonight and it is a good follow-up on the dawn novena mass or Simbang Gabi or Misa de Gallo I attended today.

I can’t remember now how many times I have completed the 9-day Simbang Gabi. I know that I’ve been attending it since high school, though I couldn’t complete one then.

Christmas preparation is just not the same for me without going to these dawn masses. I wake up at 3:15am and am usually at the church before 4:00am so I can get a decent seat. The mass starts at 4:30am. I noticed though that there are not as many people attending the dawn masses in our church as compared to previous years. Perhaps, more people now prefer to attend the anticipated Simbang Gabi at around 9pm in other churches rather than wake up at the crack of dawn.

Anyway, today’s gospel is from Matthew 1:18-25. Our priest explained the character of St. Joseph, given his setting. How just he was.

In his days, there were three stages to marriage. Engagement, Betrothal and Marriage proper. During betrothal, the couple signed a contract binding them as husband and wife but they’d have to wait a year before they could live together. One reason for this, our priest said, is to test the purity of the woman.

Imagine what St. Joseph felt when he learned that Mary was pregnant during their betrothal.

But he didn’t want Mary to be stoned to death if he accused her publicly and she was tried.

Imagine that Mary knew that she would face death when the angel told her that she would be pregnant and she answered, “be it done unto me according thy word.”

“The Nativity Story” is a good backgrounder movie, that makes me appreciate more the sacrifices of Mary and Joseph from the first Christmas.

Anyway, I might not have many take home gifts today but my officemate and classmate in German, Tranqs, burned me a CD of Japanese animation theme songs. My favorite is Voltes V.

I was in kindergarten (around 1980) when then President Marcos stopped the showing of animations on TV, including Voltes V. GMA 7 showed it again for the first time since the 80’s in 1999. This time, I finally learned the ending. And it became even more of a favorite.

Anyway, I’d better get some sleep, before the next Simbang Gabi.


sayong
12-18-06 11pm

2 Comments:

  • At December 19, 2006 2:24 PM, Blogger Jing said…

    wow voltes v how nostalgic! hehe. walang daimos and candy, candy theme songs? =)

     
  • At December 22, 2006 12:04 AM, Blogger sayong said…

    Hallo Jing, walang Candy theme songs but merong Daimos. Meron ding Mazinger Z, Voltron, Transformers, Doraemon, Pokemon, Digimon :) Nakakaaliw talaga :)

    sayong
    12-22-06 12:05am

     

Post a Comment

<< Home