Bakas

Bakas in the Filipino language means print, mark, trace, trail or vestige. This blog, then, records all those that left their marks or my impressions on anything under the sun :)

Thursday, October 13, 2005

computer lessons

All these years of using computers have taught me a lot. And most of
my lessons were costly.

1. Don't delete a compressed drive. When my computer was
still a Pentium MMX, I compressed the drive to save space. But I
learned later that compressed drive meant my computer would be slower.
I deleted the compressed drive when I couldn't uncompress it. Guess
what? I had to spend for the reinstallation of softwares :)

2. Beware of downloading and opening exe files. It could be
a virus. One time, an officemate downloaded an application that has
the Mcdonald's logo. We opened it. It showed Arabic characters.
Next time, a woman's face with very red eyes appeared. My boss and
other officemates were shocked to hear my screams :) Me with my fear
of ghosts, one can't expect nothing less :) I forgot which anti-virus
software I had in my computer then – McAffee or Norton. Whatever, it
couldn't kill the virus. So my officemate who downloaded that file
paid for an online removal of the virus.

3. Back-up or die. When I was on a study leave, other
people used my office computer. Another time, an officemate
accidentally downloaded a virus. On the first account, I lost 3 years
of files. It should have been six years but others were recovered.
In the second instance, I only lost two weeks. Still, that's two
weeks of data.

4. Return your laptop to its safe place. Believe me, it's
so expensive to repair a busted laptop.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home